October 25, 2012

The Old and The New



My darling Nicka went away with her 'man' up to Mt Tamborine on the weekend. As they strolled down The Gallery Walk, Nicka tells me she spotted an RSPCA shop and of course she headed straight for it to see if there was anything of interest to buy.

 Inside the locked cabinet she saw this cup, saucer and plate. It had come in only that morning and it was priced at $10.  She said she'd take it. The worker wasn't sure about the price so went to see the supervisor. Nicka said the supervisor didn't look sure either, but since Nic had said she would take it, it sounds as though they felt obliged to sell it for $10. I think they realised it should of cost more. Oh well. Things happen to my lucky girl all the time. If it were me, then for sure I would have seen it at the usual $25 or $30 price mark.

I opened up my present from Nicka to discover this gorgeous red Queen Anne set and honestly; it's nicer than the blue ones. I love it. So another one for the 'real' vintage collection. Thanks my gorgeous girl.

Earlier that day, I received my package from Peter of Kensington. I ordered the Lavender Rose and the Memory Lane cup and saucer and large cake platters of the same design.



Now, I paid substantially more than $10 for each of these sets and they only came with the saucer. Whilst they are lovely, I don't think I'll be buying any further "new" sets. They lack something. They lack vibrancy and warmth. They lack character. They have no homely "history". They aren't from what I can see "made in England" which has really annoyed me. They are slightly chunkier than the fine bone true vintage cups.

So. With all the negatives I've just spelt out; the only option as far as I can see is; I'm going to have jump into that car of mine one fine day and set out into the world of roadside antique and vintage shops and do the hard yards to find my "real" and "old" and "genuine" vintage pieces. The new stuff simply doesn't cut it. Yes, I'm a fusspot and for me it won't do. I want pieces that are come with a story and if that means a slight chink in the china well so be it!


I found this teapot without a lid in my local op shop for $10.
 It makes for a lovely vase.
I'm delighted.





 


4 comments:

  1. OMG Mariana that is a Sarah's Garden teapot. You are very naughty using it as a vase:). You could probably get a lid online. I noticed with Sarah's Garden the original pieces were made in England but the ones on sale now are not. (You should check out the teapot, if it is made in England it would be part of the original release). The items currently on sale are also half the price of the original items. For a while Sarah's Garden was obsolete then pieces started reappearing. Wedgewood must have licenced a factory in Asia to make it. I really can't tell the difference in quality though my sister tells me she can.

    I am still batting for Lavender Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you've made me laugh Glenda. Naughty am I? Hehe. I just upturned the vase; says it's Queensware, Made in England, 1997. You seem to know your stuff - does this make it original? 1997 doesn't seem that long ago to me and kind of doesn't really fit my 'vintage' timing. I'm sure I could get a lid for the teapot but Glenda I LIKE it being a vase. In fact I love it. The funny thing is, it must have been sitting in my local op shop window for three weeks and I felt sorry for it cause no one had purchased it. I think I bought it out of pity rather than because I actually liked it. It cost me ten bucks. I've had so many compliments on it sitting on my kitchen table with fresh flowers. So a vase it will remain. But thanks for letting me know the Sarah Garden's range is quite exsy. Just had a quick glance on ebay to find a very similar pot to mine priced at seventy pounds. Hmmm - seems like you're right.

      Glenda I haven't begun to post some of my really nice sets - me thinks Lavender Lady will be in danger!

      Delete
    2. Yep, 1997 is right. The original Engish items were so expensive when they first came out. I remember checking them out in David Jones time and time again. Then, when my mum died, I bought some pieces to remember her by. You see, my mum used to love fine china. None of this thick stuff. The greatest sin anyone could commit would be to offer her a cup of tea in a mug that was not white in the inside:)

      Delete
    3. oh wow - thanks for letting me know. Looks like I have a dinky di original there and that's fabulous. I was in DJ's earlier today and admit to having a glance underneath the Sarah Garden range. It says, Wedgewood 1904 or a date similar to that and it doesn't say "made in england". AND they were still very expensive.

      Your mum sounded a gem. I like a lady who knows what she likes. Must confess to being a little snooty about the thickness of china myself. My mother-in-law bought me a couple of royal doulton cup, saucer and plate sets that were so chunky I couldn't believe it! She seemed to think all I was after was Royal Albert or Royal Doulton. Oh dear. I have two sets now that I really don't want and really don't fit in with the collection I'm trying to build.

      I just bought a set from the Salvos today, the finest china I have ever held. The china was made in Australia would you believe and all it says is St. Kilda. I had to negotiate a little because it's price was too high. Managed to get it for thirty dollars in the end. I'll post about it soon so you can have a look. Your mother would of loved this piece Glenda, of that I'm sure.

      Delete