March 11, 2013

Good Ole Sticky Date Pud


I've been so caught up in life lately that the blog has gone a little haywire. Food blogging? Hmm. Isn't that why I started this blog?  Seems timely for a foodie post. And a reminder has come from where I least expect. Twas ages ago I posted my sultana cake, longer when I posted pavlova and longer still  the chocolate mud cake.

My stats show a tremendous amount of traffic goes to the choc mud cake and surprisingly a good number to the sultana cake.  But lately the comments of affirmation re these recipes have been lovely. When people tell me they've made my recipe for a friend or a sister's wedding, then posting seems worthwhile.

"Fuddyduddy" has enjoyed success with my pav and the choc mud cake sounds like it was a real hit. And then I'm asked do I have a good recipe for sticky date pudding. Do I!! You bet I do! It's been years since I've made this oldie but a goodie. Funnily enough I don't think I ever blogged the recipe.

And so on this dreary Monday, you guessed it, I revisited sticky date pud.  Instead of baking whole in a cake tin, I felt a little 'Mastercheffery' and baked them individually. Holey dooley. I'm biased, but they looked pretty good to me. Taste? Oh wow. I couldn't believe how good this dessert can be albeit rather deadly on the waistline. Hang on. I think I just now realised why I haven't made it for sooo long. Waistline!! Oh well. You only live once.



Sticky Date Pudding
(loosely based on recipe from Family Circle)

200gm dates, pitted & chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100gm unsalted butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp milk

Caramel Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup thickened cream
100gm unsalted butter

Method:
  • Prepare the baking tin or individual baking vessels; grease & line the base with baking paper.
  • Combine dates with 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Slowly bring to boil; remove from heat. Stir in bicarb soda; set aside to cool.
  • Using electric beaters, beat the butter, sugar & vanilla extract till light & creamy.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  • Using a spatula, pour in the cooled dates, sifted flour & mixed spice & milk into the creamed mixture Mix with spatula till thoroughly incorporated.
  • Pour into tin or spoon into smaller baking pots; bake whole cake  approx. 45 -50mins in a preheated oven at 170degrees Celcius. Bake smaller pots for about 15-20mins. 
  • Leave in tins for at least 10mins. Turn out.

To make the caramel sauce:
  • Combine sugar, cream & butter in a small pan; stir till butter melts & sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; reduce heat; simmer another 2 minutes. Set aside; skim away any whitish skin from the top or sides of the caramel if desired. It's only for a flawless look; the taste is fine. 
  • Take note this sauce turns into a solid when put in fridge. It's velvety, wonderfully wicked and most delicious. Give it a few zaps in the microwave to turn into a warm sauce, allowing you to drizzle lusciously over the cake. 
  • I hate to say it, but you really need a nice, thick cream to serve with the caramel covered date cake. 
  • Take your time & enjoy slowly. 







7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your recipe. Been so busy lately - am glad I put everything down and decided to make this. Delicious once again. I thought the pudding would be a lot more dense but loved the flavour. Might use a bit more dates next time. The caramel sauce is to die for. YUM - will scroll down your list for my next baking adventure......panna cotta...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand fuddyduddy; afraid I've been rather busy myself of late. Hardly been on my blog at all. If you fancy more dates then go for it. Personally I prefer this version because I like it 'lighter' and not quite so dense. Add another 50gm to 100gm dates next time if you like. Should be fine except your cake may sink in the middle due to the weight of the extra fruit.

      If you do go for the panna cotta next; reduce the amount of gelatin in the recipe. I'd go for two teaspoons and not a full tablespoon. Use any flavour base you like - vanilla would be nice - I imagine finger limes may not be so easily accessible. Good Luck. And thanks for dropping back. Cheers Mariana.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mariana
    Thought I would drop by to see if anything was here and low and behold! They do look good. I have never made sticky date pudding. Maybe I should this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful blog, great recipes and lovely photos of your life. I am a new visitor. Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Ann; thanks for dropping in. I'll gladly accept your lovely compliments. Mariana x

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete