January 2, 2012

Me, Myself and Lamb



I made this beautiful lunch yesterday.  Home alone and hungry, I decided to fulfill my new year's resolution.  "To be kind to myself and to value myself".  I've lost sight of looking after myself for the last three years.  High time to get back on track and stop the neglect.

I didn't flinch at preparing such an elaborate meal; I was hungry; it's the first day of the year and what better way to begin the year and to honour my new year's resolution.

Marinated Lamb & Veggies 

a rib rack of lamb
1 fresh pomegranate
garlic cloves
fresh thyme leaves
cracked pepper
french mustard
olive oil
lemon

To marinate the lamb; in a dish:

  • squeeze 1/2 a pomegranate mainly for the juice ( a few seeds won't hurt)
  • add only a little fresh lemon juice
  • 4 cloves roughly chopped garlic
  • heaps of cracked pepper
  • several sprigs of thyme 
  • 1 tablespoon french mustard
  • a good slurp of olive oil



Take the lamb and massage the marinade all over the meat.  Cover; set aside for no more than an hour; preferably out of the fridge.  It will bake better at room temperature. 

Preheat your oven to fairly hot.  In a hot fry pan, add some oil and sear the lamb rack on both sides till nicely browned. Place straight into the hot oven and bake till desired. I don't like mine pink, so I baked mine for 30mins. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing the cutlets. 

Add a little water to the dish the lamb was baked in; swivel to release the nice bits stuck to the base and to collect any remaining juice.  Strain this through a fine sieve; reserve.  

I served my lamb with creamy mashed potatoes, buttered green beans and strips of carrot and sweet roasted, marinated beetroot.  I topped the lamb with some home-made tomato relish  and I drizzled some of the reserved pan juices over the lamb.  

Not sure how it looks; but it tasted bloody beautiful!  Happy New Year to me.  And yes to more looking after me too!


No comments:

Post a Comment